Thursday, December 16, 2010

sick of church

People often find it odd that I say I love Jesus with a radical passion, and yet I don't go to church. Maybe it seems like a little contradictory.  But hear me out... in the New Testament the church of Jesus hung out at people's homes. They lived like a community. They loved and cared for one another. They fed and clothed one another when it was needed.  Church wasn't reduced to a service where people gathered, sang 3 fast songs two slow...there was an offering given and then one man preached only.

I know it sounds awful to some who might read this, but something inside of me tells me we are missing out on a lot....that there are great and wonderful things that just aren't present in most church services.  I'm not saying I want to abandon christians.  I just want COMMUNITY - not a program.

I have lived my entire life in church. I know the program down to a T.  Lets just be honest here - anyone who goes to church knows this program...and lets just be honest again - its mostly boring.  But, people feel the need to continue going because thats what makes them "Christian".   Someone asked me recently why I didn't go to church anymore. I said - "Well, you give me one scripture that says I have to go to a building made of stone every week on sunday morning at 10 am and I'll go back". They looked at me, and said "ok, you have a point."


I know people would say I'm being judgmental - but really I'm not.  Some people do like it. And I pass no judgment.  But I'm asking for the same. Besides,  I've been there, enjoyed it - liked it. But I'm not in that place anymore. I don't enjoy it.  I don't like it.  And I'm sure there will be a lot of Christians who agree with me- they just wont admit it. But going to church doesn't make you a christian - so it should work in reverse I'd think.

I would like to get involved in some sort of house church group. I just have yet to find the people I would like to do this with. Most of the people I've come into contact here profess Jesus but dont live with any sort of fire in their hearts. And really I dont want to spend my time with people like that. Most people who go to church have a  desire somewhere in their hearts for the Lord but yet have not encountered the Flame as He is.  So their lives go un-changed and they all just keep going to a building we call church. Even though the church is not a building.  The real church of God will always change you.  I am looking for people  who share my passion. Or even people who just have the desire to HAVE passion. Thats all that really counts anyway.

I am hungry for a reformation.  I want to see a true Church emerge. People who are filled with the love of Jesus, who know His voice and walk in the power of His name. I want to see an entire "Church" of people go out preaching the Kingdom of God- its not just about one man or one woman.  I am interested in a movement that consumes everything... not just sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment